Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Decemberists - The King is Dead

This album is not for everyone, as I realized the other day. On first listen, the vocal hook of "Don't Carry it All" was enough to get my attention. I decided to put the album on in an after school session in my classroom. After a song or two went by, I heard; "Ugh. WHAT IS THIS?" My teen pop conneseuer, had weighed in.
The second track "calamity song" glows in the wake of R.E.M. with hints of Neil Young. Their previous album, The Crane Wife, was decent, but the seven minute songs left my short attention span wanting more.
Again, this album is not for everyone, just don't put me on that list. Plenty of catchy vocal male + female vocal harmonies to keep this on repeat for a while.

B+

1 comment:

  1. nah. it was disappointing to me besides track 2, which just sounds like a not-as-good R.E.M.
    i like his voice overall, and love any male/female harmony... but this one leaves me feeling pretty flat. at least the crane wife had passion and variety that is missing here.
    D

    ReplyDelete