Saturday, January 22, 2011

Iron & Wine "Kiss Each Other Clean"


I recently got the new album from Sam Beam and Iron & Wine, entitled "Kiss Each Other Clean". I want to publicly thank him for continually challenging me as a listener.

Throughout his discography, each album grows from the last to places that I would not have expected ("The Creek Drank The Cradle" -> "Our Endless Numbered Days" -> "The Shepard's Dog" -> "Kiss Each Other Clean")... Upon first listen(s) I don't love it, but the more I listen to it, it starts to grow and grow. This newest album is a challenging listen because there are so many different elements ("Me And Lazarus" employs acoustic guitar, saxophone, vibraphones, and DJ scratching, among others). These elements seem disparate at first, but once you hear it all a few times (headphones were especially nice) it all makes sense and becomes an amazingly creative collage. The only misstep is "Big Burned Hand", which is a bit too Dave Matthews-ey for me. It could have easily been replaced by any of the B-sides I've heard from the sessions.

This album is not what I would consider great 'quiet in the background' music (my first few listens were while doing other things). This record demands your attention and I love it.

Get it at your local record shop or online at iTunes or Amazon with stellar bonus tracks. For more great songs from these sessions, check out the "Walking Far From Home" EP.

I highly recommend it to anyone who loves good music and wants something that wont just wash over you then disappear into the ever present noise of life.

grade: A-

3 comments:

  1. Although I respect and enjoyed todd's review. I respectfully disagree with the rating and opinions showed here. Without being too long winded, I am usually all for experimentation and growth, sam beam's incorporation of wah pedal and saxaphone. The songs go nowhere and the new aforementioned instruments make the record sound like a combo of a sevendies blacksploitation film mixed with james taylor.

    Although todd loves it, and you might too, this is definatly not my bag. Check out any of the previous releases.

    C-

    ReplyDelete
  2. i guess its a good thing I own the "Superfly" soundtrack and James Taylor's greatest hits then.

    ReplyDelete